- Place entrance reducers in the entrance.
- Check each colony for a laying queen.
- Treat with Terramycin every seven days until three treatments are completed to prevent diseases or use an extender patty.
- Leave one shallow super completely full of honey plus the honey in the brood chambers.
- Feed all colonies that do not have at least 40 pounds of honey stored. (A deep super or brood frame holds six pounds; a shallow super frame holds 2½ pounds.) A deep super completely filled will hold 60-80 pounds of honey. A shallow super completely filled will hold 25-30 pounds of honey.
- Feed a mixture of two parts of sugar to one part hot water.