Beginning with Bees
- Start small. Two colonies is an ideal number for an inexperienced person to keep for one or two years.
- Expand as your experience and confidence grow.
- Start right. Avoid discouraging mistakes at the very beginning by thorough preparation.
- Buy new equipment. The experience of assembling new hives is very informative for the inexperienced beginner.
- Beekeeping information is important. There are many good books that are excellent for beginners. These books are reasonably priced.
- Plan ahead. Order your bees, hives and tools in the fall. The hives and tools will be delivered in time to be assembled before your bees arrive the following April.
- Be ready. When the package bees arrive, your hives should be assembled and located on the site selected for your apiary.